Tuesday, October 16, 2007

My First Baby Wayne

Wayne was born when we lived in Columbus. Since he was premature and so scrawny looking and red, my brother thought he look kinda funny and made fun of his ears. But after he married and had a boy, his baby's ears really stuck out! So he said he wouldn't make fun of any one's baby after that!

Wayne slept for a month when he was born. I had to wake him up to eat, the milk would come so fast!

When Wayne was born, we didn't call mama or anything to let her know. He just wrote him a card and told him we had a son . I wouldn't let him call because I knew my brother was expecting and Wayne was premature. I had already had Wayne so I didn't need her, but I knew she needed to stay near home to be there from my brother's baby. She came as soon as she got the card and after she went home she told them, "Alma could have picked the world over and not found a better man than she's got."

She had given us a rough time. She just didn't want me to marry and gave us a hard time. I don't think she wanted me to marry at all but I told her I wanted to marry. But eventually she became friendly to him.

And the mill closed down so we had to move back to south Georgia. Mama wanted us to move in with her so we did. James had put in an application for Columbus at the mail service. We stayed at mamas about a year We finished that crop and started another on the farm and He and mama got along fine. Then they called him first to the post office in Moultrie. He got that job in the summer. Then the next year they called him to the railway mail service- that paid better. That's when the hauled mail on the train and clerks worked on the train. Sometimes they didn't stop, they would just put the mail off in a sack but at the larger towns they stopped.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You mentioned that James worked in the Railway Mail Service. I'd enjoy reading a future entry about it, such as when he started and retired, what route he worked, what he thought about the job, and any recollections he told you about the work. Thanks, Frank Scheer, www.railwaymailservicelibrary.org f_scheer@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

mr. scheer, i'm one of the mail clerk's daughters and would be happy to answer your questions with my memeories, too. Our father's main career route, once he went through the usual low man on the totem pole positions, was waycross to montgomery. We lived in moultrie, albany, atlanta, union springs in the early years and in montgomery thereafter. His buddies call him lank. There was red and scott and, i can't think of names now. I think a couple of the seniors who never seemed to retire were addressed as Mr., but i'm not sure. They all loved that train business. they were like pony express, riding the rails, swinging out the mails. be in touch. thank you. c.e.langston