Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Carolyn and a Tornado!

Carolyn was born at that time in May. James was just gone to Atlanta for his new job for a couple of months. I didn't want to leave my doctor and go to Atlanta so I stayed with mama and Carolyn was born. she weighed ten pounds! The doctor said she weighed ten pounds, but he was just guessing because he didn't have a scale. My younger brother wanted to tell James that I had twins, but I wouldn't let him so he just told him that she weighed ten pounds. James didn't believe him because he knew George. But she was, she was a big baby. Mama was bathing her and she lay in Mamas lap and just turned that head around and was just looking all over. She never did cry, he had to spank her so she would cry, she never did cry much.

James got transferred from Atlanta to Albany. He was riding the train from Albany to Tampa Florida. We had a tornado in Albany that year (in 1940). He as in Florida. that was the worst thing. They kept trying to call me. I was in Albany and they had it in the paper that Albany Georgia was wiped off the map. The man that was where James spent the night just laid the paper before him . He couldn't call and so he sent a telegram. He beat the telegram. It was an awful sound, but I go both children Wayne and Carolyn on the bed and just prayed. The center of that storm was about a block form our house. The center of Albany was just flat. When he came in the next morning on his train, I heard someone running. He ran from the depot to the house until he got to me and the children.

There was a grocery store down there close to the depot and it just took the top off of it. People used to stack their oranges and apples up in a pyramid. Those apples an oranges were still in the pyramid with the roof off. And that was about a block from the house. The man in the apartment above us went to let the window down and the wind just sucked him to his knees. It was amazing to see the building just torn down.

No comments: