Tuesday, October 16, 2007

How I Met My Husband James

Now I want to tell you how I met my husband. I was fifteen one day when I went to Sunday school and we didn't have any pump where we got our water. It broke and we were all standing around the pump this friend of mine came and her brother. And she introduced us and said this is Alma may. He said Alma May who? That was the afternoon. That night before training union he wanted to walk up the street to get water, but I said no it's time for training union to start and wouldn't go with him.

The next Sunday I was coming down the steps to church, and the shoe heal came off in the crack in the steps. I took it to the car and James followed me and my friend out there. He took his knife out and he fixed the heal and put it back on

He was home on leave from the service. Mama didn't think too much of being in the service. She didn't want me to go with him, but I did. So we went together about four years before we married. Papa told me about the first year we had gone together, "I believe I can get that man to work for nothing!" And James left to go off and try to find a job. Papa died while he was gone. And James came back when he found out. In Atlanta, this friend of mine from Atlanta told him so he came back home.
We had a rough courtship, but we went together about four years. Mama told me that your papa didn't want you to go with him. I said, if he didn't he would have told me so. He told me that about other boys but he never told me that about James. So we got in arguments about that. She finally decided she better just leave us alone and she became friendly with him. At first she wouldn't let him come to the house to see me. But she finally let him come to the house to see me.

He tried to find a job but in those days jobs were hard to find. He finally found one in a mill in Columbus Georgia. After he worked there a while we got married and we lived there about a year.

No comments: